The Role of Engineer to the Contract in NZS 3910
Ensuring your construction contract is properly administered is important, and this is where a contract administrator (or ‘Engineer to Contract’) comes in. Their role is to manage the contract between building contractors, employers and clients, and act as decision maker – working independently, impartially, honestly and fairly.
When filled by the right person, the role of contract administrator can add real value to a construction project.
Prendos.PM’s experienced, professional contract administrators can provide clear management of your contract, acting impartially to reduce the risk of disputes and conflicting interests.
Our team will ensure your contract is administered fairly and effectively, working alongside your preferred consultants or assisting you to procure alternative consultants. Alternatively, thanks to our multi-disciplinary approach, we can draw on the experience and industry knowledge of the wider Prendos team, including building surveyors, quantity surveyors, architects and engineers.
What Does a Contract Administrator Do?
Broadly, a contract administrator ensures the contract is followed and manages its day-to-day running. Even though they are appointed by the client, they must act impartially in all decision making.
Some of Their Duties Include:
- Inviting and processing tenders
- Preparing contract documentation for execution
- Ensuring the works are progressing in accordance with the contract programme
- Report to the employer on progress of works
- Co-ordinating site inspections
- Providing instructions to the contractor
- Determining extension of time applications
- Managing contract price adjustments
- Keeping records
- Certifying works
- Issuing Practical Completion Certificates
- Ensuring project documentation is issued
- Collating and issuing schedules of defects
- Under certain forms of contract (such as New Engineering Contract), the contract administrator is also the project manager – in which case their role extends to managing the project as an agent of the employer.